Not all supplements are created equal
In my experience practicing functional medicine, I have witnessed remarkable transformations in the lives of countless couples striving to get pregnant naturally. One of the essential components of our holistic approach is the incorporation of high-quality supplements into our protocols. The functional medicine approach recommends supplements in parallel with a healthy diet and lifestyle. In this article, we’ll explore why opting for pharmaceutical-grade supplements is paramount compared to cheaper alternatives readily available in stores or online marketplaces.
Understanding Functional Medicine and Supplements
Functional medicine is not just about addressing symptoms; it’s about uncovering the root causes of health issues and nurturing the body’s natural ability to heal. While dietary and lifestyle changes are fundamental in this approach, supplements play a pivotal role in supporting and optimizing the body’s functions. These supplements are carefully selected based on an individual’s specific needs and deficiencies, which we determine through thorough assessments in our programs.
The Quality Dilemma: Pharmaceutical-Grade vs. Over-the-Counter Supplements
When it comes to supplements, quality should never be compromised. Our supplements sold in our Reimagined Health shop are pharmaceutical-grade, meaning, they can only be distributed through medical professionals and meet the highest standards of efficacy, safety, and potency. There are key differences between pharmaceutical-grade supplements and their over-the-counter counterparts. Here are some:
- Purity and Efficacy: Pharmaceutical-grade supplements undergo rigorous 3rd party testing for purity and potency. They are manufactured under strict quality control standards, ensuring that you receive the precise dosage of active ingredients needed for therapeutic effects. Cheaper versions often lack this level of precision and can contain impurities, fillers, or incorrect dosages.
- Bioavailability: High-quality supplements are formulated for optimal absorption, ensuring that your body can efficiently utilize the nutrients. In contrast, generic supplements may not be as bioavailable, meaning you might not fully reap the intended benefits.
- Safety: Pharmaceutical-grade supplements are less likely to interact negatively with other medications or supplements you may be taking. They are also less likely to cause adverse reactions. Cheaper supplements may have inconsistent ingredients or filler, which may pose risks to your health.
- Clinical Evidence: Many pharmaceutical-grade supplements are backed by extensive research and clinical studies. We base our supplement recommendations at Reimagined Health on scientific evidence and their proven efficacy. Cheaper supplements often lack this level of scientific support.
- Individualized Approach: In functional medicine, we personalize supplement regimens based on each patient’s unique needs. Pharmaceutical-grade supplements offer a wide range of options, making it easier to tailor treatment plans. Cheaper supplements may not provide the same variety or customization.
If you are looking for functional medicine support in your journey to pregnancy click here to watch our on-demand webinar, where we reveal the 4R Fertility FormulaTM we use to work with our clients If what we share sounds good, we invite you to apply for a spot in our high-touch, individualized group program that has over an 80% success rate in helping couples conceive naturally.
Hidden Dangers in Supplements: An FDA Warning
The FDA has issued alerts regarding the safety of supplements available in the market. The FDA has warned consumers about products available on Walmart.com and, in 2021, issued an untitled letter to Amazon addressing the distribution of certain products that violated the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. The FDA’s vigilance is clear in its commitment to protect consumers when products and companies jeopardize health.
It is distressing to note that despite FDA warnings spanning a decade, hazardous products continue to be available on the internet, including major online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay, as well as in retail stores. The FDA’s tainted products database can identify many potentially dangerous supplements, just remember that not all risky products are listed.
As a Functional Medicine Physician, I understand the importance of every aspect of our treatment protocols, including the supplements we recommend. While it might be tempting to opt for cheaper supplements, especially when they are readily available at grocery stores or online platforms like Amazon, I strongly advise against it.
Investing in your health and fertility is a long-term commitment, and it’s crucial to prioritize quality when it comes to supplements. At Reimagined Health, we are committed to providing you with the highest quality pharmaceutical-grade supplements tailored to your specific needs. These supplements are an integral part of our holistic approach to optimizing fertility and overall well-being. Remember, when it comes to your health, the right choice is often the higher quality one.